Friday, December 12, 2014

#blacklivesmatter #knowledgeispower

Listening to Dr. Johnson and Dr. Gross speak last night was phenomenal. It was great gathering around with people not only from CBU, but all around Memphis and surrounding universities. The best part of the presentation was Dr. Johnson arming the audiences with responses to ignorant statements and questions from people that oppose or are confused about the movement #blacklivesmatter. For example, when people who say "I don't agree with black lives matter, all lives matter." Yes, all lives DO matter, but systematically, the odds are against the black population, especially young, black men. So, a great way to combat this remark is to agree that, yes, all lives matter. Saying black lives matter does not imply that other lives don't mater, but it is rather a call to arms to make people realize how often black men and women are killed without a trial or even an arrest.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad that I missed this, but in reading your post I see that it was a great event. I love the responses given to combating negative opinions. There have been so many times when I have either taken part of or witnessed an argument about this very topic. Everyone has their own opinions and everyone thinks they are right, but when we are able to use facts to combat them, we show them how wrong their opinions can be. I am so proud of our students and faculty/staff for coming together for something like this. I am glad I was able to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete