Friday, December 5, 2014

Catfish

This week we had the chance to watch the original documentary Catfish. It's about a guy who meets with a young lady online and to make a long story short, the lady is not who she says she is. The movie has now turned into a tv show on the famous network MTV. I admit, watching several episodes at at time provides entertainment for me. It's funny how people meet online and have all these bizarre excuses of why they can't meet (if they live in the same city) over and over again. Some people have been in a cyber relationship for more than a year and have never talk to their significant other in person. To me that is crazy!! After revealing that the person isn't who they claim to be they get mad. In most cases it's the person's on fault. But there have been some instances where family members have played jokes on other family members by making people up and making their relative believe that they're talking to a real person. To me that's where I would draw the line. It isn't morally right to set someone up for failure. Or is it? Why do people do this outside of it bringing enjoyment into their lives?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with Jahleel's post. I don't think a show like this is morally right to begin with much less someone of your own family doing that to you. It just doesn't seem right to me. Furthermore, I also find it very odd that people will communicate online with one another for such a long amount of time together but never come into contact with one another. sounds a little "fishy" to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. The reason why they do it is because, they want to make the person that they lied to to feel sad. It is morally wrong, because you are treating them as thing and not as a human being. The person is manipulating them to think they are this person but in reality they are not. The other person get so heavily involved that in the end they are crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree and I believe the show is not morally right because no one should set up for failure or should be continuously lied to. I also look at the show as pure entertainment. This is my first time actually seeing the movie. In some instances the person could have avoided getting catfished but they fail to listen to others and often times are in denial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone else, I agree with Jaheel. The actions portrayed are manipulative, deceiving, and all together negative towards the person that is being "catfished." To "catfish" someone by nature is masking the persons true intention. Whether they do it to hide behind their insecurities, or for some other reason there is no way for me to justify this as moral.

    ReplyDelete