Sunday, September 28, 2014

I can't comment on anyone's post, so here are my comments.

Shannon Little Response

Before this discussion, I hadn't realized that the Golden Rule was based off of self-interest. I understood the concept of treating people the way you wanted to be treated, but never actually took out the time to figure out what it meant. I understand why Kant says that morally good deeds should not be based on self-interest. Self-interest kind of implies that people are looking for rewards and have ulterior motives for performing good deeds. The morality of the deed becomes skewed and less about the actions, and more about the person doing the action.

Jessica Voyles Response


I think that having a hidden agenda for doing a good deed is no longer a good deed. The person who does something for a reward is not thinking about the act itself but for personal gain. However, nowadays doing good deeds can be morally good and filled with self-interest that is pure. For example, S.O.S. is done to help others, but when you ask people why they serve they respond "Because I love to help others", or "Because I feel great when I help people". Occasionally you get answers like "Because it's the right thing to do", but most of the time we serve or do good deeds to gain happiness. It's hard to remove emotions when you are helping someone else. I don't believe that it is morally wrong to do good deeds because you are overcome with emotions. It is morally wrong when one looks for a reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment