Wednesday, September 3, 2014

No Morals

Socrates

In the section of Plato's Republic read and discussed in class we spent a lot of time dealing with the question of what we would do if any one of us were to acquire the Ring of Gyges. We should all know that the farmer in the myth who came into possession of the ring learned that it granted him invisibility. This knowledge of the ring's power lead to the farmer using it for his own personal gains by bedding the queen and conspiring with her to kill the king for the kingdom. The farmer did this because with the granted power of invisibility he knew he would not be judged for his actions. (http://sites.wofford.edu/kaycd/plato/)

No no not that ring, but similar.
 

So with this knowledge when asked about what we the students would do if granted this power many of us admitted to (or privately thought to ourselves) that we would indeed do the same or something similar within the realm of "unjust" actions. This got me thinking if it were simply because no one could see us performing the actions that, if we weren't invisible, we would never perform to begin with. That maybe because others were seemingly judging us constantly on our actions the mere absence said judgement would cause us to lose all morals and go on a tirade of unjust deeds. 

This made me think that perhaps there are no morals to begin with and the only morals we hold are there because someone else is looking on. Without the presence of another human being to be the judge we forgo all sense of morals and in place we only perform actions that would ultimately benefit us and nothing else. It's a disturbing idea since most of us would have trouble thinking of a world without some moral compass. To think that the world only has this moral compass because there are others to watch and judge. So there are no true morals and we only behave in the manner we do because the judgement of others and the consequences that would ensue keep us from performing acts many would consider unjust. 

(First stab in the dark with blogging, hope it's not terrible. Feel free to comment and ask about it before or after class.) 

4 comments:

  1. I disagree with you when you say that we, as humans, have no morals at all. Not everyone bases their good deeds, or morals, on the premises of whether or not someone is watching. I was always taught to act with integrity which, if we define this term means, doing what is right when no one is looking. How can we be praise seeking animals if we act with integrity. I, as a person, honestly do good deeds just because I like to. I don't care if people are watching or not, and I feel that Socrates hits it straight on the head when he says that people with a well ordered soul are just because their soul is well ordered and their soul is well ordered because they are just.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jessica on this point. I can see where you are coming from when you make your point, but I'm afraid that I have to disagree with it. I know plenty of people (myself included) that do good deeds without requiring praise. I know that for myself, even if I were to have Gyge's ring, I would have a difficult time trying to do something unjust. My conscience would way me down with guilt and I would end up trying to fix my wrong a little while later. So while I'm not completely sure about Socrates being correct in his theory (though he does make a very good argument), I do believe that humans do not act just because they're afraid of the consequence or looking for praise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with you saying that humans have no morals at all. Yes people do act immorally, but most people don't do certain things only if they are being watched/judged. Not everyone is alike, and some might do "just things" because they are being judged, but I know that I do good things because that's what I like doing and it's how I was raised. So yes morals do certainly exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I understand where Taylor is coming from when she explains humans lack morals, I, too, disagree with it. I believe it is too general to state "there are no morals to begin with." An counter example of this would be homicide. It is basic instinct to know that killing someone is wrong. Even if a person could make themselves invisible, it does not change the moral implication that homicide holds. Through saying we have no morals from the beginning, what stops child from killing if they do not get there way. It is not the fear of a spanking, but instead the knowledge that taking a life for minute reasons is wrong. While being invisible would make going against a moral code easier, it does not mean that they are lacking morals. It just means it is simpler to get away without getting caught or have punishment.

    ReplyDelete