Friday, September 5, 2014

Republic

First off, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and mine may differ from others and I accept that and would love to hear their feedback.

While reading I was presented with the question "Is it more profitable to be just or unjust?"pg.13 Guignon. Being a moral and just person is in their best interest, but we aren't perfect all the time. I looked over the two arguments presented by Glaucon and Socarates and pondered which side I most agreed with. I guess I can say that there are things that I agree and disagree with from both philosophers. Being a just person is seen as a good person who does the right thing most or all the time. Doing unjust things are seen as breaking the rules or going against the grain of society. Which is more profitable? I believe that the rewards one reaps from doing just things are what gives a person true happiness. We all commit injustices in our lives, but most of these create temporary happiness. We are all guilty of doing some unjust things in our lives, but in the end most of the time happiness is achieved through living a good life and committing good acts or deeds.

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I believe that being just is more profitable than being unjust. Of course each one has it pros and cons but just think about it. Let's just say you stole a car and you get away with it (for the time being) you can enjoy what you reaped for days until the police find you and the car and take you to jail for stealing. Now on the other hand, if you see that car has been stolen and you report it, you can prevent the owner from going through a lot. Of course you probably wouldn't get a monetary reward but you wouldn't suffer the conquences if you would have stole the car. You would come out more profitable than going to jail. Like you said injustice creates temporary happiness. When you do wrong it eventually comes back to bite you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as if society has decreed unjust acts as less profitable. I find this statement wrong. In my opinion, an unjust act does not have to be unlawful. To me, an unjust act is one that loses you honor in the face of society or changes the perception of society in a demeaning way. It is my belief that as the human population grows, we are reverting back to ways of survival of the fittest. We have grown up with the concept of everyone is in a competition with each other. Sometimes this bring out the worst in us as it part of nature to survive. That is why I believe those that have an easier time acting unjust have better opportunities than those that do in the way of survival.

    ReplyDelete