Thursday, September 25, 2014

Kant

Much like the Ancient Greeks, It seems as though Kant’s ideals of philosophy can be broken down into three different sects: Logic, Physics, and Ethics. At first these terms seem almost unfathomable because they seem so all encompassing within themselves. However, by breaking it apart it makes it easier to understand, as well as to study his view. Logic is defined as “the science that studies the formal processes used in thinking and reasoning” by Websters dictionary. In class we said Physics was the “study of the natural worlds.” Both of these two factions a priori or not empirical, which pretty much means it is based on theory and pure logic, as opposed to observations. The opposite of this being a posteriori  or empirical, or based off observation and experience instead of pure logic.

An example of a priori would be: Green is a color.

An example of a posteriori would be: Grass is green.


I find it easier to understand logic and physics and how it can be considered empirical, however, When it comes to ethics it is a little more confusing.  Not that I disagree with Kant, but more that I have never really thought of it like this. Ethics is something of a gray area, right and wrong depending on you ask. But, to have a solidify answer of right or wrong is something that I find to be really interesting.  I am excited to see how Kant’s ideals are similar to the philosophers we have already studied, but even more the differences between them. I find the most mind boggling thing is that Kant did not happen until the 18th century. That is such a wide spread of time between Plato and Aristotle.  I know there are many philosophers between, but  I wondered how the passage of time transformed the philosophical views. 

2 comments:

  1. I liked your examples of a priori and posteriori. They were very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. It is difficult for me to have a solid answer or examples of what is right and wrong. To me, it isn't black and white, there are a lot of gray areas.

    ReplyDelete