Thursday, November 13, 2014

Freedom/Purpose

I found the topic of freedom very interesting. This coupled with beings-in-themselves/beings-for-themselves created a  very thought-provoking topic that I regret that I did not weigh in on. Regardless, when discussing how we are never in an situation where every aspect of our freedom is revoked, I first thought this was not possible. Upon further discussion, however, I saw how this works. Basically, even if by some chance that you happen to be held against your will confined to a single room, you can still think for yourself. You have the freedom to be really annoying if you so choose. Now, I find the second part of this interesting in the fact that everything can be grouped into two categories. Basically, objects and things fall in the being-in-itself section while people fall into the being-for-itself. Now, I was wondering if a table (for example) is no longer being used as it is intended and is utilized in a different way that is no longer typical of tables, has it "transcended" from being just a table? Or is has it merely been re-purposed and taken on the mode of its current use?

3 comments:

  1. If a table is no longer being used as a table, it hasn't "transcended" from being just a table. Like you said, it has merely been re-purposed into something else. If you add a cushion and a back to a table, it can now be a bench. It isn't a table that is being used as a bench, it is simply a bench now as if the table never existed. Only beings-for-itself can transcend because they aren't entirely based on facticity like beings-in- itself are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being re-purposed is a really great way of explaining the difference between objects changing factually and people who are transcendable. I never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with tory in the comment where the re-purpose table can become different things because it is transcend able , I my self too had not thought about it that way either I find it interesting now. I believe that the table is playing at being a bench instead of transcending into an actual bench, just because it was originally made into a table.

    ReplyDelete