Friday, November 21, 2014

Since, this is a by-week for the blog and I need to make one up for not doing one last week, I thought I would just talk a little bit about Frantz Fanon. Fanon is noted for being one of the most prolific black philosophers. However, what really interests me is at what time this philosopher lived.  To me, philosophy has always been something of the distant past. When I think of philosophy I think of the ones we learned at the beginning of the semester, such as Aristotle, Plato, or Socrates. Even Kant was born in the 18th century. Yet, Fanon was born in 1925 in France, and was only thirty-six when he died. He lived in a time where being black was viewed as being the "other race." At this time it was socially acceptable to harass a man without fear of many (or any) consequences. He definitely is a good representation of the social movement going on in that time.  Much of his philosophy, as we have learned about, deals with isolation. This makes since, because as a black man he was isolated from much of the world. Even more, being an educated black man made him isolated from much of his own class at that time. Just through doing some research on him, I've realized how segregated Fanon must have felt from the rest of his society. One of his books that really caught my eye is "Black Skin, White Masks." In essence, it is a review of what it is like to be a black man living in a white man's world. Fanon really is a revolutionary of his time. His philosophies transcend race, and relate to a variety of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment